Q. ~ What foods are dangerous to my dog?
There are several foods that people can eat but that are like poison to a dog. Symptoms can range from digestive problems to serious illness and even death!
DO NOT FEED a dog the following foods or foods containing these ingredients which are POISONOUS & TOXIC to dogs and can cause serious illness or DEATH of your dog!
Remember to keep these foods out of reach of your dog at all times!
~ If your dog has ingested anything poisonous or toxic, CONTACT YOUR LOCAL VET IMMEDIATELY or CALL the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center hotline at (888) 426-4435
(This is not a complete list but certainly very important!)
!!! DO NOT let dogs eat these foods !!!
- MACADAMIA NUTS
- NUTMEG (spice)
- ALCOHOL or BEER, WINE (of any kind)
- MILK or DAIRY PRODUCTS
- RAW EGGS
- SUGAR or SUGARY FOODS
- ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER
- XYLITOL (an artificial sweetener & can be found in gum & candy)
- TOBACCO (from cigarettes, cigars etc…)
- SEEDS & PITS from fruits (pits, seeds, stems, leaves from apples, plums, peaches, cherries, avocado)
- HUMAN VITAMIN SUPPLEMENTS (containing Iron)
- COFFEE GROUNDS & COFFEE BEANS
- FISH (raw)
- BONES (from fish & poultry: chicken, turkey, duck, etc…) Bones will splinter & cause serious injury & bleeding in a dog’s mouth, stomach & digestive system!)
OTHER things TOXIC to dogs:
- FERTILIZERS & LAWN CHEMICALS
- HOUSEHOLD CHEMICALS (cleaning supplies, detergents, etc…)
- ICE MELT
- HUMAN MEDICATIONS (not a food but equally important to NOT give a dog)
PLANTS that are POISONOUS & TOXIC to DOGS (Alphabetical List by category & common name):
- Bulbs: Amaryllis, Autumn Crocus, Daffodil, Day Lily, Elephant Ears, Gladiolas, Hyacinth, Iris, Lily of the Valley, Narcissus, Orange Day Lily, Tulip
- Ferns: Aparagus Fern, Australian Nut, Emerald Feather (aka Emerald Fern), Emerald Fern (aka Emerald Feather), Lace Fern, Plumosa Fern
- Flowering Plants: Cyclamen, Hydrangea, Kalanchoe, Poinsettia
- Garden Perennials: Charming Diffenbachia, Christmas Rose, Flamingo Plant, Foxglove, Marijuana, Morning Glory, Nightshade, Onion, Tomato Plant, Tropic Snow Dumbcane
- House Plants: Ceriman (aka Cutleaf Philodendron), Chinese Evergreen, Cordatum, Corn Plant (aka Cornstalk Plant), Cutleaf Philodendron (aka Ceriman), Devil’s Ivy, Dumb Cane, Golden Pothos, Green Gold Nephthysis, Marble Queen, Mauna Loa Peace Lily, Nephthytis, Peace Lily, Red-Margined Dracaena, Striped Dracaena, Taro Vine, Warneckei Dracaena
- Lillies: Asian Lily (liliaceae), Easter Lily, Glory Lily, Japanese Show Lily, Red Lily, Rubrum Lily, Stargazer Lily, Tiger Lily, Wood Lily
- Shrubs: Cycads, Heavenly Bamboo, Holly, Jerusalem Cherry, Mistletoe “American”, Oleander, Precatory Bean, Rhododendron, Saddle Leaf Philodendron, Sago Palm, Tree Philodendron, Yucca
- Succulents: Aloe (Aloe Vera)
- Trees: Avocado, Buddist Pine, Chinaberry Tree, Japanese Yew (aka Yew), Lacy Tree, Macadamia Nut, Madagascar Dragon Tree, Queensland Nut, Schefflera, Yew (aka Japanese Yew)
- Vines: Branching Ivy, English Ivy, European Bittersweet, Glacier Ivy, Hahn’s self branching English Ivy, Needlepoint Ivy
- Misc/Uncategorized: American Bittersweet, Andromeda Japonica, Azalea, Bird of Paradise, Buckeye, Caladium hortulanum, Calla Lily, Castor Bean, Clematis, Fiddle-Leaf Philodendron, Florida Beauty, Fruit Salad Plant, Golden Dieffenbachia, Gold Dust Dracaena, Heartleaf Philodendron, Horsehead Philodendron, Hurricane Plant, Mexican Breadfruit, Mother-in-law, Panda, Philodendron Pertusum, Red Emerald, Red Princess, Ribbon Plant, Satin Pothos, Spotted Dumb Cane, Sweetheart Ivy, Swiss Cheese Plant, Variable Dieffenbachia, Variegated Philodendron, Yesterday/Today/Tomorrow